REFINE YOUR SEARCH
Type of document
|Date||Ref.||Title||Section||Type||Download||Info||Summary||Related Documents||Translated versions|
|25/07/2016||2016/1166||Warning about CFDs, binary options and other speculative products||MiFID - Investor Protection, Warnings and publications for investors||Investor Warning||PDF
|30/06/2016||2016/1055||Peer Review Report on Prospectus Approval Process||Prospectus, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|20/06/2016||2016/940||Statement by Steven Maijoor at ECON MiFID II/MiFIR Scrutiny Session, 21 June 2016||Speeches, MiFID - Secondary Markets||Statement||PDF
|13/06/2016||2016/943||Statement by Verena Ross at ECON Public Hearing on Securitisation||Board of Supervisors, Speeches||Statement||PDF
|08/06/2016||2016/935||Final Report on Draft RTS under the ELTIF Regulation||Fund Management||Final Report||PDF
|02/06/2016||2016/902||MiFID practices for firms selling financial instruments subject to the BRRD resolution regime||MiFID - Investor Protection||Statement||PDF
|26/05/2016||2016/725||Draft RTS on indirect clearing arrangements under EMIR and MiFIR||Guidelines and Technical standards, Post Trading, MiFID - Secondary Markets||Final Report||PDF
|04/05/2016||2016/653||Final Report on RTS on reporting obligations under Article 26 of MiFIR||MiFID - Secondary Markets||Final Report||PDF
|07/04/2016||2016/585||Suitability Peer Review- Annex||MiFID - Investor Protection, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|07/04/2016||2016/584||Suitability Peer Review- Final Report||MiFID - Investor Protection, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|07/04/2016||JC/2016/21||Final Draft RTS PRIIPs KID Report||Fund Management, Joint Committee||Final Report||PDF
|04/04/2016||2016/461||Final report on temporary exemption for ETDs under MiFID II||MiFID - Secondary Markets||Final Report||PDF
|02/02/2016||2016/165||Public Statement- Supervisory work on potential closet index tracking||Fund Management||Statement||PDF
The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) is issuing this statement to inform stakeholders and especially investors about the potential for some European collective investment funds to be ‘closet index trackers’, and to give details on the work that ESMA has been doing in this context.
Reasons for issuing this statement
 ESMA recognises that management fees may depend on a number of factors.
|28/01/2016||2016/102||Statement by Steven Maijoor on behalf of the ESAs||Joint Committee, Speeches||Statement||PDF
Statement at the ECON scrutiny hearing on behalf of the ESAs.
|22/12/2015||2015/1861||Final report- Guidelines on cross-selling practices||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|17/12/2015||2015/1886||Final report on guidelines for the assessment of knowledge and competence||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
Reasons for publication
1. Article 25(1) of Directive 2014/65/EU (MiFID II) states that Member States shall require investment firms to ensure and demonstrate to competent authorities on request that natural persons giving investment advice or providing information about financial instruments, investment services or ancillary services to clients on behalf of the investment firm possess the necessary knowledge and competence to fulfil their obligations under Article 24 and Article 25 .
2. The European Securities and Markets Authority is required by Article 25(9) of MiFID II to develop – by 3 January 2016 - guidelines specifying criteria for the assessment of knowledge and competence of investment firms’ personnel. The guidelines will come into effect on 3 January 2017.
3. In accordance with Article 16(2) of the ESMA Regulation, a consultation was launched on 23 April 2015. The Consultation Paper (CP) set out draft ESMA guidelines for the assessment of knowledge and competence of individuals in investment firms providing investment advice or information about financial instruments, investment services or ancillary services to clients on behalf of the investment firm. The consultation period closed on 10 July 2015.
4. ESMA received 80 responses. The answers received on the CP are available on ESMA’s website unless respondents requested otherwise.
5. As provided by Article 16 of the ESMA Regulation, ESMA also sought the advice of the Securities and Markets Stakeholder Group’s (SMSG).
6. This paper contains summaries of responses received and feedback statements provided by ESMA. ESMA recommends that this report should be read together with the CP published on 23 April 2015 to have a complete understanding of the rationale for the guidelines. The final guidelines presented in Annex VI take into account the comments and suggestions raised by respondents.
7. Section II briefly summarises the feedback to the CP and the main responses from ESMA.
8. Section III contains the Annexes: Annex I provides the Summary of questions, Annex II contains the legislative mandate, Annex III reports the cost-benefit analysis, Annex IV reports the Opinion of the Securities and Markets Stakeholder Group, Annex V details the feedback on the CP, Annex VI sets out the final text of the guidelines and Annex VII describes some illustrative examples of the application of certain aspects of the guidelines.
9. The final guidelines in Annex VI will be translated into the official EU languages and published on the ESMA website. The publication of the translations will trigger a two-month period during which National Competent Authorities (NCAs) must notify ESMA whether they comply or intend to comply with the guidelines.
|11/12/2015||2015/1858||Final Report- Draft ITS under MiFID II||MiFID - Secondary Markets||Final Report||PDF
|30/11/2015||2015/1783||Final Report on complex debt instruments and structured deposits||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|28/09/2015||2015-ESMA-1464 Annex II||Annex II- CBA- draft RTS and ITS on MiFID II and MiFIR||MiFID - Secondary Markets||Final Report||PDF
|23/07/2015||2015/1136||EEA prospectus activity in 2014||Prospectus, Corporate Disclosure||Final Report||PDF