REFINE YOUR SEARCH
Type of document
|Date||Ref.||Title||Section||Type||Download||Info||Summary||Related Documents||Translated versions|
|19/11/2019||ESMA71-319-154||Banking and the MiFID II review||MiFID - Investor Protection, MiFID - Secondary Markets, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|03/05/2019||ESMA35-43-1737||Final report on integrating sustainability risks and factors in the MIFID II||Audit, MiFID - Investor Protection, Sustainable finance||Final Report||PDF
|03/04/2019||ESMA71-319-93||Steven Maijoor Keynote speech- BETTER FINANCE 10th Anniversary 2019||Fund Management, MiFID - Investor Protection, Risk Analysis & Economics - Markets Infrastructure Investors, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|10/01/2019||ESMA71-99-1081||Press release- ESMA report finds investment product performance highly impacted by charges||MiFID - Investor Protection, Risk Analysis & Economics - Markets Infrastructure Investors||Annual Report||PDF
|10/01/2019||ESMA50-165-731||ESMA annual statistical report on performance and costs of retail investment products in the EU||MiFID - Investor Protection, Risk Analysis & Economics - Markets Infrastructure Investors||Annual Report||PDF
|28/11/2018||ESMA35-43-1376||Verena Ross Keynote speech at DSW-Better Finance International Investors’ Conference||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|28/05/2018||ESMA35-43-869||Guidelines on certain aspects of the MiFID II suitability requirements||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|21/03/2018||ESMA71-99-964||CMU, Brexit and ESA review – What’s next? Steven Maijoor BVI Keynote||Fund Management, MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|29/11/2017||ESMA42-111-4285||Peer review on certain aspects of the compliance function under Mi-FID I||MiFID - Investor Protection, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|05/10/2017||ESMA35-42-597||Speech by Steven Maijoor on financial education and investor protection in Europe- IOSCO World Investor Week||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|02/06/2017||ESMA35-43-620||Final report on guidelines on MiFID II product governance requirements||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|02/12/2016||2016/1640||Speech by Verena Ross, ESMA Executive Director at the 2016 Global Capital Markets Conference||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|17/11/2016||2016/1584||Safeguarding investors is key to ensuring the capital markets Union’s success||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|26/05/2016||2016/739||Speech Financial News 20th Anniversary Awards for Excellence- Steven Maijoor, 26 May 2016, London||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF
|07/04/2016||2016/585||Suitability Peer Review- Annex||MiFID - Investor Protection, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|07/04/2016||2016/584||Suitability Peer Review- Final Report||MiFID - Investor Protection, Supervisory convergence||Final Report||PDF
|22/12/2015||2015/1861||Final report- Guidelines on cross-selling practices||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|17/12/2015||2015/1886||Final report on guidelines for the assessment of knowledge and competence||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
Reasons for publication
1. Article 25(1) of Directive 2014/65/EU (MiFID II) states that Member States shall require investment firms to ensure and demonstrate to competent authorities on request that natural persons giving investment advice or providing information about financial instruments, investment services or ancillary services to clients on behalf of the investment firm possess the necessary knowledge and competence to fulfil their obligations under Article 24 and Article 25 .
2. The European Securities and Markets Authority is required by Article 25(9) of MiFID II to develop – by 3 January 2016 - guidelines specifying criteria for the assessment of knowledge and competence of investment firms’ personnel. The guidelines will come into effect on 3 January 2017.
3. In accordance with Article 16(2) of the ESMA Regulation, a consultation was launched on 23 April 2015. The Consultation Paper (CP) set out draft ESMA guidelines for the assessment of knowledge and competence of individuals in investment firms providing investment advice or information about financial instruments, investment services or ancillary services to clients on behalf of the investment firm. The consultation period closed on 10 July 2015.
4. ESMA received 80 responses. The answers received on the CP are available on ESMA’s website unless respondents requested otherwise.
5. As provided by Article 16 of the ESMA Regulation, ESMA also sought the advice of the Securities and Markets Stakeholder Group’s (SMSG).
6. This paper contains summaries of responses received and feedback statements provided by ESMA. ESMA recommends that this report should be read together with the CP published on 23 April 2015 to have a complete understanding of the rationale for the guidelines. The final guidelines presented in Annex VI take into account the comments and suggestions raised by respondents.
7. Section II briefly summarises the feedback to the CP and the main responses from ESMA.
8. Section III contains the Annexes: Annex I provides the Summary of questions, Annex II contains the legislative mandate, Annex III reports the cost-benefit analysis, Annex IV reports the Opinion of the Securities and Markets Stakeholder Group, Annex V details the feedback on the CP, Annex VI sets out the final text of the guidelines and Annex VII describes some illustrative examples of the application of certain aspects of the guidelines.
9. The final guidelines in Annex VI will be translated into the official EU languages and published on the ESMA website. The publication of the translations will trigger a two-month period during which National Competent Authorities (NCAs) must notify ESMA whether they comply or intend to comply with the guidelines.
|30/11/2015||2015/1783||Final Report on complex debt instruments and structured deposits||MiFID - Investor Protection||Final Report||PDF
|10/11/2015||2015/1639||Steven Maijoor at Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee, European Parliament, Scrutiny Hearing on MiFID II||MiFID - Investor Protection, Speeches||Speech||PDF